Thursday, November 20, 2014

Folds - Mistake Report

I haven't been here in so long... I missed my little HSBCI. Well, here I am again, and of course, I post here only when I bake stuff. I baked two things recently (of which I can remember, of course).

On Tuesday I baked a cake that everyone loves, called Everyday Chocolate Cake. And today, I baked a cowpoo cake.

You read correctly - cowpoo.

I have no idea why I keep calling it that. It was from this book called Chocolate and Baking. It's on page 52. It's called Chocolate Walnut Cake. It totally failed! I had the correct ingredients, did everything properly. I even thought I did the folding correctly -  apparently, I did not. Folding was all that messed the cake up. My brother called it a sponge that'd been dried out for a long time. My mum didn't want to finish the last bits because it tasted nasty. (And actually, it does.)

The frosting was pretty nasty too. I guess 'cause I beat it on high speed last minute because there were large butter chunks in there. Hehe.

Here's the recipe. If you make it and it turns out perfectly, I'll kill you and ask you for your secrets and pictures, if you took any.

Chocolate Walnut Cake from Chocolate & Baking, page 52

4 eggs
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 tbsp butter, melted
2 3/4 ounces dark chocolate, melted
1 1/4 cups finely chopped walnuts

Frosting:
2 3/4 ounces dark chocolate
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tbsp milk
walnut halves, to decorate

Method:
1. Grease a deep 7-inch round cake pan and line the base. Place the eggs and superifne sugar in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 10 minutes, or until the mixture is light and foamy and the beater leaves a trail that lasts a few seconds when lifted.
2. Sift together the flour and unsweetened cocoa and fold in with a metal spoon or spatula. Fold in the melted butter and chocolate, and the chopped walnuts. Pour into the prepared pan and bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees F for 30-35 minutes, or until springy to the touch.
3. Cool the cake in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut the cold cake into 2 layers.
4. To make the frosting, melt the dark chocolate and let cool slightly. Beat together the butter, confectioners' sugar, a milk in a bowl until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Beat in the melted chocolate.
5. Sandwich the 2 cake layers with some of the frosting and then transfer to a serving plate. Spread the remaining frosting over the top of the cake with a spatula, swirling it slightly as you do so to make a pattern. Decorate with the walnut halves and serve.

Good luck!!

N

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gimme a om-nom-nom-comment!!