Thursday, August 21, 2014

Ups and Downs of Measuring

I use measuring cups when baking, because weighing scales are 1. inaccurate and 2. sooooo yesterday. Of course, everything has its disadvantages. Here are the pros and cons of using a weighing scale as opposed to using measuring cups.

Well, first of all, of course, I like to blab about my own experiences before I explain what I get from research. So, I'll take it from here--

Measuring cups are weigh better than a weighing scale any day. (#lamepuns) I mean, they're easy to use. You scoop 'em into the barrel of sugar or whatever and level off the excess with a knife or whatever. Weighing scales however are kind of hard to use, TBH. I was making this Malaysian dessert that had UK measurements and it was hard because 1. it was difficult to get the weight accurate and 2. the scale was BROKEN.

Laugh. Now.

And there's another reason which added to why it was a frustrating experience but it's unessential to this post so if you want to know you can comment for all I care.

I have a say against weighing scales, and no offense to those who are probably #1 fans of weighing scales and have posters of weighing scales in their bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen, and maybe even walk-in closet.

So look here. Weighing scales are those kinds of thingies that require a screen and battery or whatever. Cups are complete plastic/metal/silicone. They don't need any battery. They just require manual use. There are just some things that don't require technology.

Oh my cookies, it's kinda late-ish and I haven't even done any research yet!! Cue research!! Cut rants!!

Hey, I could make a debate about this matter.

Okay, I just did some research and I realized something. We use measuring cups for wet stuff too, occasionally. We use them to measure things like shortening, chocolate chips, and brown sugar. Sometimes measuring shortening can be annoying. Sometimes, when the shortening is almost finished, I stick the giant 1 cup into the container, and all I get is more frustration. Why? 1. the cup's too big and 2. the shortening is in the little nooks and crannies of the container, which are impossible to reach with my type of measuring cup. Using a small spoon and weighing scale would be more efficient in this case. Also, shortening is oily and it sticks together. It doesn't fall apart, like sugar and flour. When the shortening container is full, the scoop is easy, but the amount scooped isn't accurate. You get a cup of shortening with a giant, unnecessary blob on top that you have to scrape off with a knife. It's not much of a problem, but it's pretty inefficient, especially if being on a cooking show is your future life plan. Also, do you ever have your brown sugar in annoying clumps that are hard enough to kill someone? (I am not kidding.) Yeah, well, since they can't be measured accurately using cups, why not use a scale? Those clumps lack perfect composure, but they do have a weight. Clumping doesn't render them completely useless.

That's about it. Any questions, please comment. Also, I will begin baking pretty soon, so you can comment what you'd like me to make, if you want. Simple stuff, though. Nothing like a big fancy frosted cake with strawberries. You can suggest something like...

"Warrior Cats cupcakes!"

*inconspicuous cough*

Thanks for reading, keep on feeding!

N

2 comments:

Gimme a om-nom-nom-comment!!