Monday, August 25, 2014

[Q&A] I Weigh More Than 100 Cakes

*stares upwards*

What kind of TITLE is that, man? Did somebody get on my computer and write that while I was in the kitchen?! I'm calling my lawyer!

But actually, that title gives me an idea. How much DOES a cake weigh? And do I really weigh more than 100 cakes?

Hey, why does it matter how much a cake weighs, anyway? There is only one cake I know that has something to do with weight, and that's a pound cake. Why are pound cakes called pound cakes?

My guess has always been, "Maybe that's how much they weigh."

Well, that could be everyone else's guess too, but I guessed it first, so, yeah.

Hey, why not write a blog post on why pound cakes are called pound cakes? I'm bored anyway.

Let's turn this into a Q&A post. *sticks on Q&A label* *changes title*

WHY ARE POUND CAKES CALLED SUCH?

I know right? I've always wondered that too. Let's just sit back and wonder why, and watch the world progress in front of us. Here's some lemonade.

-.-

Maybe they are called such because maybe they were invented in England and maybe they were sold for a pound. Could be! *begins to research*

Okay. Here's some information. I'm right!!!!

The original recipe for pound cakes first appeared in English and American cookbooks in the 18th century. The recipe called for a pound of each of the important ingredients. That is why a pound cake is called a pound cake! A pound cake is made from equal parts of butter, sugar, flour, and eggs. The French dudes called this cakes quatre quarts, which means four quarters.

It seems that's all you needed to know, and I've answered your question, so go away. Shoo.

Pound cakes are usually flavored with lemon or vanilla. The British like to add dried fruit and the French like to add chocolate. [The French have a better taste than Brits, lol. Just kidding.]

--

Seems like Q&A is over. Now I have a question to ask, and YOU are required to answer.

Can you make this cake and show me in a blog post, video response, email, or other? Khank yu.

SOURCES:
http://www.cookthink.com/reference/2465/Why_is_it_called_a_pound_cake
http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Cakes/PoundCake.htm

By the way, thank you to the random person who gave me that rather offensive but interesting title. You deserve a pound cake.

N

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gimme a om-nom-nom-comment!!