Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Buttermilk Lemon Cake

I'm sick of the word buttermilk.

Yesterday, I made a buttermilk lemon cake. I think it failed because I didn't use liquid buttermilk.

Well, the cake didn't exactly fail, but it was really crumbly. AND, I forgot about the glaze I was supposed to make with a leftover 1 tablespoon of lemon extract. So I used all five tablespoons of lemon extract. The batter was really runny, so I put in about a cup of flour. When it was mixed to an approvable consistency, I poured it in the cake pan.

And guess what?! I mixed up baking powder with baking soda!! Not physically mix. I mean I got confused with those two. The recipe asked for baking soda, and I measured baking powder instead.

Oh. My. Cake.

But the cake didn't fail.

Does that seem like a lie now because there aren't any pictures?

Well. The cake was asking for a few cuts before it felt like coming out of the pan. It was so yellow and pretty. And the yellow part is sooo good. CITRUS CAKES ARE AMAZING!!! I wonder what would happen if I tried lime. Add an extra 1/4 cup of sugar?

Anyway, to the buttermilk problem. The recipe asked for 1 1/4 cups buttermilk. Well, if four tablespoons of powder buttermilk and one cup of water equal to one cup of buttermilk, then 4 T buttermilk + 1/2 tsp buttermilk and 1 1/4 cup of water should equal 1 1/2 cups buttermilk.

That's exactly what I did, and that's what made the batter runny! Too much water!!

I'm not quite sure if I did the measurements right, even. Two teaspoons equal 1 tablespoon, right? Or is it four?

Oh. It's three. I sees my mistake.

Well, there's my report on Buttermilk Lemon Cake!!

-N-

2 comments:

  1. the cake was good...

    ok, 4 TBS = 1 C
    so 1/4 C = ___ TBS? Simple math.....
    maybe it was also runny bec you added an extra TBS of lemon extract
    maybe the absence of baking soda also affected it somehow? remember that with citrus or acid in the batter you need Baking Soda to neutralize it
    i didn't see the recipe so i can't tell you what else possible went wrong

    try this cake again...
    Ummi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't grade this one...you can try it again and I'll grade that one maybe..I have to figure out which grade to take..it depends on how much try you do on the same cake..and i'll take the best grade

    ummi

    ReplyDelete

Gimme a om-nom-nom-comment!!