Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Keep Calm and Keep Safe

The key to fun & easy baking is kitchen safety. Right?

Click for enlargement.
Make sure your hands are always CLEAN.
That's what they all say. Right? It makes sense anyways. Less stressful too, in a way.

Wash all eggs before use.
Why? They did come out of a hen's butt, you know. And landed into a straw nest stained with hen turds, most likely. #amiright

Don't leave pots and/or pans on the stove with the fire on.
For one thing, the pot will burn.
For another thing, you'll be yelled at. (That is if you're under supervision.)

Wear appropriate clothing.
No loose long-sleeved shirts.
Also, if your hair is long, tie it up, or somehow keep it out of the way. If your hair is falling over your face while you're cooking over a fire... well... now do you know why lunch ladies wear hairnets?

Don't leave spoons or ladles in cooking pots. 
The heat from the pot will get the spoon/ladle hot, therefore rendering the spoon/ladle impossible to hold.

When cooking something on the stove, turn the pot's handle inward.
In case you like to dance while waiting for something to heat up/melt, you'd better keep the pot's handle out of the way. Or else.... *dancing arm smashes down on sticking-out pot handle* *BOOM* *hot liquid spills all over your feet* *ow*

Don't get any wires, plugs, or outlets wet.
Unless you think electrocution is electrocute.

Clean up spills immediately.
YES, mother... *picks up rag*

Be careful when cutting things that are hard, tiny, or slippery. (onions, rock-hard, baking chocolate, nuts)
I one time was cutting an onion. It was annoying and slippery and refused to be cut. The knife slipped and cut my finger.
Another time, I was cutting chicken. It wouldn't cut. I slowly increased the knife's pressure, and then my left pinkie got cut. It was so fast and the pain was so strange. I grabbed my pinkie, and squeezed it in fear. When I slowly opened my hand, there was a deep white cut in my pinkie. The blood was coming fast. I got all sweaty. I got all weak. I got all limp. Weak from shock. Limp from blood loss. I ran to the bathroom and got a band-aid. What if I got infected? The knife was covered in chicken juice. And probably chicken farts too. By the way, the injury is still on my finger for those who want to see.

Try your best not to open bags/packets with knives. (It's not so cool once you get injured!)
I never got injured while doing this, but it's possible to. I was once cutting open a potato sack with a knife. The blade got stuck in all those potato-sack fiber string things, and I couldn't pull out the knife. If I'd pulled it out really hard, the knife would've flown into the air, floated for a few seconds, then come swirling down on my head.

And unless you like having a pained tummy, don't eat the cake batter or cookie dough. Please.

Source(s): http://www.straighten-up-now.com/kitchen-safety-tips.html

-N-

1 comment:

  1. Content : 20/25 [Baking Safety - try to find more safety instructions related to baking specifically]
    Presentation : 25/25

    45/50

    The ones you have hear are good, but I'd like to see more on baking safety per se.

    Ummi

    ReplyDelete

Gimme a om-nom-nom-comment!!